Friday, December 28, 2012

Romanticizing The Past

When I was little, I was fascinated with the Old West. I know, I know, people got sick & they died horrible deaths, but let me explain. I saw freedom in it. I saw adventure. I saw the generosity in the community.  If you didn't like the town you were living in, it was so easy to just pick and leave. No two week notices. No worrying about if you could find a house or an apartment in your price range. No monthly bills to forward to your new address. Don't get me started on how the banking system has changed. You were just able to be without Big Brother up your derriere. 

Since I had insomnia last night, I was able to watch 'Late Night Black & White' on GSN. What that consist of is two game shows from the late 50's & early 60's, "What's My Line?" & "I've Got A Secret". The reason I love these shows was how people dressed. The women wore tailored dresses, had their make-up & hair done, walked up straight, and talked like ladies. The men wore tailored suits. They were respectful. At the end of each round of "What's My Line?", the male panelists would stand to shake your hand. 

Don't get me wrong, I love living in present time. I have indoor plumbing and cable. Also, by today's standards, I not considered an old maid.  Which is a plus.
 
I guess what I miss is the mutual respect. 


No comments:

Post a Comment