Friday, January 27, 2012

From AmeriCAN to AmeriCANT rant

First of all, sorry for the bad pun of a title, but I had to do it. Couldn't stop myself. Now on to my rant.

My grandfather was diagnosed with myathenia gravis in 1944. Myathenia Gravis is an autoimmune neuromuscular disease. Your muscles will not act the way should. He developed double vision, trouble breathing & swallowing.

He worked on what was called 'handicapped wages'. Sounds nice, huh? Instead of $2.50/hr, he would make $1.75/hr. He did not whine. He did not complain. He showed up every day & worked.

He had 3 children (my 2 aunts & 1 uncle) that had Usher's Syndrome. Most of you would recognize it as what Helen Keller had. Your vision & hearing are shot! Yet, they all found jobs. They worked full time. My uncle was a very good handy man. My aunts were talented at crochet & sewing.

My dad had a cousin that had juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. She was diagnosed at the age of 12. She went on to become a missionary. Since she was unable to be pregnant, she adopted 2 children from Columbia. She even wrote a book! Which is impressive because her hands were fused & it was before a lot of the newer software. She did it with a stylus type thing in her mouth.

Not one of these individuals ask for help from the government.

Why do I bring these stories up you ask? Easy, we have become a nation of wusses. The only time most of us are willing to break a sweat is at the gym. Hard work has become a cuss word. We want everyone else to do for us.

I want us to start doing again. I rather my kids learn trades than philosophy 101. Carpenters make practical things for life, as philosophers are mainly overbloated pious windbags. So let's work smarter. I want to put America back into action.

No comments:

Post a Comment