Saturday, August 13, 2016

#BlackLivesMatter & #WhitePrivilege



I admit when the Black Lives Matter movement began, I didn't think too much of it. A community was upset. My initial response was 'well, duh, of course they do.' They started getting notice when they changed the definition of racism. The movement really snagged my attention when they started using #WhitePrivilege on social media and incite violence towards cops.
Then, like a good American with a computer and internet access, I became a hashtag activist with #AllLivesMatter and #BlueLivesMatter. I believe that's how it will be noted WWIII on starting. 
After a while, I stopped playing hashtag activist. The BLM movement was becoming increasingly violent and I try to stay away from random acts of violence. So it became a back burner item in my head.
Then a few weeks ago, Kira Davis shared a Facebook live video talking about how some in the Black Lives Matter movement feel dismissed when people say 'All Lives Matter'. "Not saying that all lives don't matter, but right now the focus is on how black lives are treated by law enforcement." I agree with that statement.
Here's my retort though. If people in the BLM movement are going to become upset over people saying 'All Lives Matter", I would like to bring up their use of 'White Privilege'.When I hear people use that phrase, it makes me feel like they believe that no white person lives in poverty or gets in trouble with the law. We white people get into any university we please with no problem because all our daddies are rich. That simply is not the case.
Now I'm not saying I don't have any kind of privileges in my life, because I do. I was raised in a small rural town in a two parent household. We never went hungry, although we did have some interesting meals made out of leftovers. I got to grow up in a free range environment. 
Everything in life is about perspective. How do you perceive it? Is it the man's fault you're stuck or will hard work and dedication help you get out of the hole you're in?

No comments:

Post a Comment