Wednesday, July 4, 2012

How Do You See You?

Here's why I ask. I watched an episode of 'What Not To Wear' & the lady getting the makeover was a lesbian that came out in the 80's. So in her mind, she couldn't wear dresses or make up. So for years, she didn't. She gave up a part of her identity for fit what she thought she had to be.

Through the time she was with Clinton & Stacy, she found out she could add feminine elements into her wardrobe without looking like pageant contestant. She was ecstatic that she could merge the hard biker side with her softer mommy side & still be true to herself.

So, I started thinking about other 'groups' that do this. You have people of different races that believe they have to act or dress a certain way or they betray their race, but betray who they are inside. Same thing with political & religious groups.

WHY?

I believe this is the reason why so many people are so unhappy. Why young people hurt or in extreme events, commit suicide. People are told they have to fit in this little box or they are betrayers, disloyal, unfaithful, and wrong.

I see myself as Jennie. This is how I self-identify. If you want more than that, I also see myself as colorful, funny, caring, loving, messy, emotional, awesome friend & aunt.

So I ask you again, how do you see you?

No comments:

Post a Comment